Sunday, June 16, 2013

Lisette Passport Dress

Hello again! A couple of weeks ago I finished a second version of the Lisette Passport Dress (Simplicity 2209), but I am just now blogging about it due to bad weather, my photographer-husband's work schedule, and general ambivalence. I'm not so sure about this one you guys.


I got the fabric on the bottom half on clearance at Joann's, and I absolutely love it, but at just under a yard, I felt like I didn't have a lot of options. I wanted a skirt, but couldn't see squeezing a waistband in. Some others on Pattern Review have had nice results doing a solid top/patterned bottom combo with the Passport Dress, so I decided to give it a go. I had juuuusst enough fabric. 


As with my first version, I cut a 10 in the shoulders, blended to a 14 at the waist, and then to a 12 in the hips. I also lowered the arm holes by about 1/2".


The top is a twill from Joann's limited selection. I choose it because it matched the white-but-not-blinding-white of the skirt fabric. In hindsight though, it was probably too heavy a fabric to pair with the medium weight print. The darts are pretty prominent and the whole thing just feels heavy for a summer dress.





From the back, without accessorizing. My shoulder blades look weird here, but it's because I'm not standing up straight.


Just to give you an idea what the dress looks like on its own. I definitely plan to wear it with the belt and cardi. 



Both fabrics were slightly sheer, so I decided to be brave and make my first lining. I am more than a little embarrassed to admit I used muslin because I was too cheap to buy cotton batiste. This is easily the tidiest the inside of any of my garments has ever looked.

So, overall, I dunno. I just can't see myself wearing this a ton due to poor fabric choices. I think the big lesson here is that I've really grown a lot in the past year, and it may be time to stop limiting myself to $5 a yard. Up until know I've been pretty reluctant to invest much in any particular project, since there's a fair chance it will be a disaster. I haven't had a wadder in a while though, so maybe it's time to treat myself to something slightly nicer.

On the plus side I did learn how to line a bodice using this excellent tutorial and how to sew an invisible hem with my machine. It's also the nicest invisible zipper I've ever installed. So, progress. And it does look a hundred times better with a belt.


As I side note, I got my knitting groove back and finished this awesome spider:


It's one of the projects in my Amigurumi Knits book and may be my favorite one yet.

I'm almost finished with my Tofino pants - can't wait for the pyjama party next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment