Friday, May 31, 2013

Me-Made-May '13: The finish line!

Hello again! So today marks the end of my first Me-Made-May, and I managed to complete my goal of wearing all six of my handmade garments.

Handmade item number five is the Lisette Passport Dress (Simplicity 2209). This was about the point I was starting to catch on, and I actually worked on the fit before cutting out the fabric. I was over the moon thrilled with it by the time I finished, even though the neckline isn't totally symmetrical and the zipper sticks.


I wore it to finally buy the wood to build that headboard I started working on, oh, you know, three months ago. I have an irrational fear of home improvement stores (completely ridiculous, I know, but it's absolutely true) because I am pretty much the opposite of handy. It is right up there with returning purchases and scheduling appointments on my list of mundane things I. do. not. want. to. do. Does anybody else dread weird things? No, just me?

Anyway, I channeled my inner Ron Swanson, bought the supplies and learned to use a drill that afternoon. Here's a sneaky peak at the frame I built:


Not too shabby, right? I'm hoping to finish this weekend and do a full write-up next week.

And, finally, handmade item number six is the tank-top dress I made last year, blogged here.


So what did I learn from all this? Mostly that I need a haircut something fierce, looking at these photos. More importantly though, it's been fun to see how far I've come in the two years (off and on) that I've been sewing clothes. I'm putting Me-Made-May in the win column.

No comments:

Post a Comment