Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sewing, Interrupted

Hello again! I finally crawled out from under my rock a couple of weeks ago and bought the Sewaholic Renfrew top. With all the rave reviews, I figure I can't go too far wrong even if I am a newb when it comes to knits. I cut everything out last Saturday, and was planning to sew it up this weekend after I picked up a ballpoint twin needle. I know Tasia recommends securing the collar band with a zigzag stitch, but I've seen such fabulous, professional results around the blogosphere with a twin needle, I'd like to try it out.



Two fabric stores later, I couldn't find one and ended up ordering it on Ebay. It's frustrating because I live in a major city - Atlanta can host the Olympics but doesn't have a store with a decent selection of notions?!

So, instead of sewing this weekend like I planned, I've been working on other crafty projects. First up, Brian and I are going to attempt to make a headboard. I like this one from West Elm a lot, but I also like saving money and tackling a challenge (in this case, power tools). So I'm adapting this tutorial by Little Green Notebook, and one of the steps is making fabric covered buttons:


It turns out making buttons is a lot more physically demanding than you would think. I made about two dozen last weekend and by the time I finished I had tired arms and blistered fingers! I'm getting much better at it as I go along, so when this is all over I think I'll experiment with making earrings out of my stash of fabric scraps.

The other project I've been working on is my Ms. Barbie Goes to Washington outfit, and it has been an uphill battle. And, as usual, it's my own doing! :) I fell in love with this ridiculous sparkly yarn, but it is sport weight and the pattern calls for fingering. I figured I could make it work. Well, what I've ended up with is a oversized jacked and a very tight skirt:


I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this one yet. The sad part is that these two pieces aren't even my first attempt. This suit is going into hibernation for at least a couple of days because I'm starting to get frustrated. Who knew fitting Barbie would be as hard as a real woman?

This weekend I also took the sewing delay and the warmer weather (it hit 65 today!) as I sign I should get some spring cleaning over and done with. But not without rewards! I just whipped up these no flour, no butter, peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies by Ambtious Kitchen. Delicious and healthy-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment