Sunday, July 28, 2013

Cake!

Hello again! Not a ton of sewing this weekend, mostly because I spent most of Saturday making this:


Brian doesn't like to make a big deal about his birthday, but the one part he does enjoy is the cake, so I do it up big every year. I don't subscribe to the idea that adult birthdays are limited to minimalist white sheet cakes with sprinkles. I mean, you never get too old for R2-D2, right? He absolutely loved it and pronounced me the best wife ever.

I really enjoy coming up with a concept each year and making it happen, usually making a giant, delicious mess along the way. I made one 9" round (cut in half and stacked) and 12 cupcakes. While the cake was cooling, I made marshmallow fondant from scratch. It's about 100 times more delicious than regular fondant, but man, is it a sticky, sticky mess. The kitchen looked like a powdered sugar bomb exploded by the time I finished.

I don't think R2-D2 quite tops this Tron one from a couple of years ago, but I'm still pretty happy with it.


While I was looking for the Tron picture, I found this Lego cake, which came back from the brink of disaster. The layers weren't level, so the top cracked and I thought, no big deal, I'll just use frosting like caulk. As I was frosting everything together, the air conditioning broke (at the height of summer in Florida), so the apartment just got hotter and hotter and the frosting started to melt. After 20 tense, sweaty minutes, it was business in the front..

 .
..and a party in the back. Yes, that is a spice jar and toothpick propping up the back of the cake. You can't make this shit up. This picture still cracks me up.


This transformers one was the first time I made marshmallow fondant, but I don't remember it being such a pain. This one was strawberry flavored and particularly delicious, and obviously, from before the trainwreck that was Transformers 3 was unleashed on the world.


Hope you all had great weekends, filled with deliciousness.

3 comments:

  1. The lego cake rocks - totally sounds like something I'd do! On the bright side at least you didn't spell Brian like Brain...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! I like to think that part of the charm of my cakes is how obviously amateur they are, but misspelling his name is probably a bridge too far.

      Delete
  2. I love all the cakes, especially the Tron one! Rest assured, there are much bigger fails than your lego cake, I was looking at Cake Wrecks and there are some absolutely terrible ones on there!

    ReplyDelete